Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Week one

Today Brett and I are going to take a hike at nearby Waterfall Glen. It's the second day we've both had off together since our wedding eleven days ago, so we're going to get out and do something fun.

The wedding was awesome, though I'd like to wait a few more days before I really crack into writing about it. I've had some pretty strong and even conflicting emotions about it in the week since it happened, so I want to continue to let my thoughts about it formulate and settle in my head before I try to memorialize it on The Blog.

Suffice it to say, for now, that Brett and I are an extremely fortunate couple to have such wonderful generous people among our friends and family. There is no way we could have had such a lovely day without them. In Offbeat Bride (please treat yourself to this book if you are a bride in identity crisis) Ariel talked about wanting to have her wedding reflect the people who she cared about, instead of a commercialized idea of what a wedding was supposed to be. I'm very glad to say that everyone I worked with to organize the wedding was a pleasure to work with from the professionals Joni the caterer and Joe and Libby the photographers, to Chelsea and Aunt Karen who arranged all the flowers and decorated the church and reception site, to friends of my mom who stayed to the end of the party to help us clean up. I'm grateful to you all for everything you did for us and will be grateful every time I look back at pictures of how beautiful the day was.

We celebrated our one week anniversary with cake (Honus ate the leftover wedding cake we brought back from Iowa. Can't blame him. It was awesome!) and then ice cream.

We got a Kitchenaid stand mixer and ice cream churn attachment as wedding presents and a cookbook with collected LHF recipes from some farm friends, so we whipped up a batch of vanilla farms ice cream. I should have thought more carefully about the fact that the recipe makes enough for a 5 quart churn and ours is decidedly less than that. But we split the "batter" into two batches and now we have some waiting for us to churn tonight.

I added some fresh strawberries to mine for a little added umph and it was delicious.

No comments: