Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hope Springs Internal

Today I staked out a 12ft x 9 ft section of the really grassy part of the property to plant for a garden this summer. And I am thrilled about it.

When Brett and I moved in, I talked to the land lady about wanting to put in a garden and she seemed to think that was fine. Over the course of our months here, I started to get worried that she might change her mind and not want us digging in the back. So I tuned down the garden dreams and figured I'd just plant a little basil in the kitchen and maybe a pot of tomatoes on the deck. The closer it gets to warm weather though, the more I've been thinking about the pleasure of spending time doing something productive outdoors and the joy of some fresh garden veggies of my own.


Aunt Karen, suggested that I look for a community garden to plant in, and though there's no such thing that I can find here in The Coop, I'm pretty sure that if I asked my neighbors for 100 square feet of dirt to cultivate, someone would be very accomidating. But I really want to be able to walk out and get busy, or I doubt I'll stick with it.

So, I did my research, planned out the size I wanted, then I called up the landlady and asked very nicely if it was still ok to put in a garden. And she said yes! I do plan on sending her an addendum to the lease agreement for us both to sign (just in case), but I'm optimistic enough to believe that I might actually have instant salads this year, and perhaps some homemade pickles, salsa, tomato sauce, etc.

Now, I know that the garden I had at Living History Farms was massive. Way too big for Brett and I to handle alone. The garden I staked out is very modest, easy even. Based off of yields from the Farms garden (knowing how little vegitation this household actually eats) and the recomended spacing for planting, I've figured that we don't really need a ton of space. I would like to do some pumpkins and watermelon though, and my research is saying they need around 10 ft to vine out. We absolutely have that space, so I'll probably hill a few out in the grass, weed a little and hope the native flora doesn't do them in.

In knitting news, I really want to finish my second Pacific Monkey Sock (from Knitty. See?) but I'm still short a needle. When we were in Oneonta, I even looked at the Big Box Retailer for another US2 DPN set, but the best I could do was US3! Next time I'm somewhere I can grab US2 double points, I'm geting a few sets. It's my favorite size for fingering weight and aside from the joy of having a spare, I can see using more than one set if I want to work on more than one pair of socks at a time. I'm about to put away the snowshoes for the season, but here's a shot of the lone Monkey sock in action.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These brief glimpses into spring make even me think about a garden!I'm glad you will be able to have a nice area to plant, since that was one of the main attractions of that piece of property. If only the things I try to grow would look like the produce in your photos!

cold beer and a fishin' pole said...

Sister dear,
Gardening does sound wonderful, however my landlord said the only place that I could garden is in the crawl space. Now, let's face it, there is nowhere near enough light there! On a side note, I saw an infomerical on a tomato plant that grows upside down! How does that work? I don't know but I want one. Just to say that I grew tomatoes upside down. But in all seriousness, if one can grow a tomato plant upside down, what couldn't you grow upside down? Provided there was enough soil and water. Hm...I might be on to something here.

Lil' Brudder

Kate said...

Dear Brother,
Apparently, you can grow anything you want upside down. Brett grew some tomatoes this way once and said it worked great. I don't understand it, but it does seem pretty cool. You should get one.

Anonymous said...

Bats grow upside down

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about getting your size 2 DPN at Knit Picks? They run a little cheaper, but you would have to pay for shipping. It sounds like you like to knit with metal needles. The 6" Nickel Plated is $3.49, or if you are a bamboo needle lover like myself, they are $5.44 for 7" (by Clover).