Sunday, January 14, 2007

Adventures in Sweaters

I have a burning desire. A deep rooted need. I must knit a sweater.

Last year at this time I was knitting Tubey, that fabulously unsatisfying not-really-a-sweater that I don't really count. The construction was fabulous for what I felt my skills were at the time , but it really wasn't any kind of traditional sweater-making method. Therefore it does not count. I have knit a Minisweater and a Spring Fling which employ top down raglan shaping and five section seaming respectively. I also do not count these as "real sweaters."

The time for a real sweater has come. Something warm and traditional that I can wear with pride. I want to use my own original pattern, but I'm having the same problems I always have. Despite my careful measuring and meticulous swatching, the piece just doesn't work. What I wouldn't give for Eunny Jang's designer's sense of porportion and her careful math.

At least my materials are beautiful. I'm using 9 skeins of Classic Elite's Wings, an alpaca, silk, and wool blend that's been discontinued.
Doesn't it look cheerful sitting there just waiting for me?

Hopefully with more work I can turn it into a close-fitting yoked sweater with a two color motif across the upper chest that sort of spills into the yoke. Add some gentle waist shaping and neatly finished hems and I'll be a happy camper.

No comments: