Thursday, June 09, 2011

Two weeks

I was going to talk about how amazing my husband and baby are, as they lay snuggling on the couch next to me. But then The Child burped an impressive amount of milk all over Brett and the couch.

Ah, the joys of fatherhood!

Brett's mom has been here for a few days, helping with the baby, and it's been great for me. Brett and I managed to have a date yesterday and went to see X-Men. It was wonderful. Today the power of the moms combined and with a fantastic gift certificate from my mom and babysitting from Christi, I got myself a fancy haircut. Probably the first time I've brought a picture to a stylist and left with exactly that cut. She did a great job and was very sweet.

Having a baby does a number of your self esteem. I think I'm evening out a little bit, but I found myself sobbing at the mall last week looking for a good nursing bra. Between being tired, feeling physically not like myself, and feeling like I wasn't doing anything right as a mom, I spent a lot of time weepy the first week. Having a stranger tell you how good you look, how nice your hair is, how nice your skin is, is really really lovely.

I've also had a ton of support at home. Mom is over often, cuddling her grandbaby and telling me I'm doing good. Christi ran all over town on errands for us, and helped us get up and out of the house. Most importantly, Brett has been amazing. When I'm crying because I've been feeding the baby for the last two hours and he's STILL HUNGRY, he sits with me and tells me he loves me and that we can give him a bottle and still be good parents. He keeps my spirits up with encouraging words, super help, and even a bouquet of roses. I couldn't ask for more!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Just looking at that baby shows how much love and care he receives. You are doing a wonderful job. He is such a blessing. Dawn Starr says she wants to babysit!