Tuesday, June 21, 2011

three weeks and a bit

turns out it's getting better. I'm still entirely on baby time, so the hour of the day means almost nothing. 3 am on the clock now doesn't mean the same thing that it did a month ago. Instead of, "it's the middle of the night; why am I awake?" it means, "The baby is hungry." breakfast lunch and dinner happen if and when I can set the baby down for a half hour. It is now legal to nap at any hour of the day. Showers and teeth brushing are no longer a morning routine. But we're making it work and I'm getting sleep and getting help and occasionally getting out of the house. Giving up on old routines without giving up on the things that help me feel normal and happy has been very important to feeling better.

But when i get to see Brett and Tris snuggling on the couch, watch him fall asleep with a full tummy, take him for a walk in the stroller, or see our families' faces light up when they see him I know that he is worth any amount of stress and frustration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure you are doing a great job. I am thinking of how frustrated you mom was when you would not sleep...seems to me that you survived being the first child.

Dad

Mom said...

It is your new normal :)