Monday, March 07, 2011

Waiting...

It is not warm outside yet. It blows and the wind is chilly. I still wear my wool when venturing outside, though I will swear up and down that the baby sucks all the warmth into my belly.

It's time to think about Spring though. At the farm, we're already planning events six months out, and hard at work on those coming in the next month or so. The maple trees are tapped and the weather is great for collecting lots of sweet sap to boil into syrup. It reminds me of New York, where suddenly buckets and plastic tubing showed up on someone's sugar bush. This time last year Honus and I were about half way through out 5K training program. I remember running my favorite route in the late daylight, snow still heavy on the ground and enjoying the damp smell of the air and the warmth of the sunlight.

At work, the farm has turned to mud and I just got my first seed order for the kitchen garden. I was very careful about the varieties and am looking forward to writing the garden manual for 2011. I'm always optimistic about a garden. Someday I will have time to spend the morning hours weeding and harvesting my own plot of dirt. I'm thinking about planting a little box of herbs at the apartment to share with the neighbors. I never harvest enough to keep herb plants productive, and how fun would it be to have an itty bitty herb garden for our little community?

1 comment:

Mom said...

What a nice idea. I would like an herb garden too. There are so many unpredictables with gardening - maybe that's why it is intimidating to me.