Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer of love

Hi everyone.

Catch-up:
I've been working lot and lots of hours, though it looks like I'll be able to quit my P&C hours soon. I feel bad about quitting now that they're in full summer swing and I'm office trained, but I do want to have a little time to do other things. Like work on the fiber business, which has majorly been on the back burner. Juggling three jobs, planning a destination wedding with no budget, trying to lose serious poundage, and still have a life is not exactly conducive to also trying to build a business. Ugh.

Still, the days are long and sunny. And though the deer (or something) has taken most of the more exciting plants, there is enough lettuce for salads and the peas are covered in elegant white blossoms. I want to cut armfuls of them and bring them inside, but I know I'd rather eat the peas.

Cooperstown in the summer is a beautiful place to be and I'm happy to be here. The trick is taking time to appreciate it.
Before we got crazy busy, Brett and Honus and I went for a walk around the Glimmerglass State Park. It was a good relaxing day and I'd like to do it again.


I'm also looking forward to my next dyeing day. My favorite results from the last experiment were encouraging. I used simple food coloring dye to color the wool and set it with vinegar. Beacuse eggshells and wool are made from the same material (protein) the same techniques work for both. Unfortunately, you need a lot more dye for grams of fiber than for eggshells, so the color isn't nearly as saturated as I hoped, but it did varegate beautifully.

1 comment:

Barbara (Mom's quilting friend) said...

This yarn is lovely. In the photo is appears to be soft spring green. The soft values of green will knit up beautifully.