Thursday, April 02, 2009

well hello

Dear Lil' Brudder,

My only loyal follower! I knew from the minute you arrived that we were going to get along. Eventually...

As to your comments on White House Green Thumb, I thought they were pretty interesting.
There have been a TON of direct comparisons between the White House kitchen garden and the Victory Gardens of our grandparent's era. Very perceptive of you. You seem to be a little wary of the "water bill" and other costs of growing your own food. Certainly the "Haves" are going to be in better shape to maintain a garden for show, the way the White House Garden is meant to be. They could build a beautiful green house, truck in lots of dirt, irrigate, buy specialized seeds, hire gardening help...and fix lots of things that supposedly make growing your own food really difficult. And if their potato crop doesn't come in, it's not like they're not going to need to worry about feeding themselves that winter.

Though the "Haves" could do all this fancy schmansy stuff, will that actually make their tomatos taste better? Could be, but I doubt it. All you really need to do in order to produce your own delicious cabbage is plant a seed, do a little weeding, maybe take a watering can to it every now and then, harvest and prepare it. Harder than driving to the store to pick one out? Probably. Difficult? No. It's something anyone with patience and a sunny spot in the dirt can do. And so the "Have Nots" are just as capable of producing food for themselves as the "Haves."

When I went for a run today I noticed that every single house (and I am not exaggerating) up here has a decent sized garden somewhere in the yard. This is a relatively poor area and plenty of people rely on those gardens for a lot of their nutrition. And my point is? That the kitchen garden is, or could be, a real source of food for an average sized American family. Beautiful, delicious, sustainable produce can be class blind, beautifully democratic. I sincerely wish for this to happen.

So often when I take stock of American society, I see a culture consumed with self-gratification. We are obsessed with ease and speed. We Tivo our way through commercials, hire cleaning services, send the kids to day care while we work overtime to be able to buy everything we can imagine a need for at the BigBox store down the street. We overindulge and oversimplify complex issues.

And I believe that food, and local food, and homegrown, homecooked food could be our cultural salvation. No, dear brother, I don't expect that every American home will have a cow in the yard, or even down the street. As I mentioned, the Jeffersonian ideal of a self-sustaining American oikos is incompatable with the brilliant science, masterful economics, intriguing philosophy, uplifting theology, thoughtful literature, pleasing pastimes that Americans have produced in our proud national history. If John Adams had stayed a farmer, and not had the leisure to pursue law and politics, maybe America wouldn't even be the country it is today.

But taking the time to pause, and eat well with friends and family, instead of eating a drive through burger alone in the car, could help Americans communicate with each other better and reduce health concerns. Purchasing from producers close to our homes can help us revitalize our rural agricultural communities, trickling down wealth and lifting all boats. Growing some of our own produce could help us not to eliminate the processed goodies we get from the grocery store, but realize the difference between real food and indulgent calories and make informed choices. And I know that I could personally reduce my consumption to what I could grow myself or purchase locally, minimize my food waste, and still maintain a healthy weight.

My diet wouldn't be as varied as it is now. I wouldn't get to eat chocolate or Mc Donalds. But i would survive. $7 goes a lot further in veggie seed than it does in frozen pizza.

So, yeah. Did I make any sense, or did I just talk a lot? I don't even know...

2 comments:

cold beer and a fishin' pole said...

Dear Big Sister,

We get along great, we just don't see eye to eye some of the time.

My first concern is your comment right here. "Certainly the 'Haves' are going to be in better shape to maintain a garden for show, the way the White House Garden is meant to be". Now was this a typo? I thought that the White House Garden was supposed to be producing crops, putting food onto foreign dignitaries plates, and educating city kids on where their food comes from (the Midwest).

I was not suggesting that the Haves would have better tasting tomatoes, I was merely saying that the Haves are better able to support themselves prior to harvest. When you're not worried about earning 40 hours a week you have more time to work and cultivate the garden. Whereas a person who is barely getting 35 hours is more worried about paying bills than getting to spend an hour in the garden.

Yes, $7 does go a long way for seeds, but what happens after you purchase those seeds and plant them? You have to wait the 90-150 days for the suckers to grow. Which means that you're still shelling out the $7 a week even with great preservation rashioning from the previous harvest.

Most folks that garden aren't worried about class. Most folks that garden for their primary food source don't have the luxury to think of class until tax season or voting for a new executive. Just my opinion.

"We overindulge and oversimplify complex issues." Of course we do. We are Americans, and with that comes a sense of entitelment and ignorance.

Yeah, you did kind of ramble.

LB

Karen said...

People plant gardens for all kinds of reasons,and I see no ill effects, even if they do it for reasons I think are foolish. As long as they don't drive up the cost of seeds and canning jars, more power to them! When the fair-weather gardeners poop out, we can buy their jars at garage sales.

The real gardening issue is how to keep ground hogs, raccoons, chipmunks, and others from eating the stuff before I can harvest it. Heck, they eat it when the shoots are only an inch tall.

Now THAT'S a gardening issue.