Saturday, March 17, 2012

Ruby Giant Crocus

I have taken a sick day today. Brett and the little guy are hanging out with his visiting family, so for the first time since Tris was born I have an empty house all day and orders to relax. I stepped outside to take a few shots of the Ruby Giant crocuses that have just started blooming in the last couple of days. There's tulips too, but they'll bloom later, if they escape the small burrowing creature that apparently likes to eat flower bulbs.

I had planned to plant a whole border of crocus and tulips along the front stoop, but when I found the little chipmunk tunnels I stopped. I'm surprised as many of them made it as did. The rest of the bulbs I planted in a beautiful black pot and kept sheltered in the garage. A few weeks ago I noticed that it had been thoroughly dug up by our resident mouse. Not sure how many of the remaining bulbs survived the mouse attack, but I'm on the warpath now for rodentia. Anyone know a reliable fairly humane way to discourage chipmunks from living under your front step?

In any case, this is what is left: a few gorgeous crocuses blooming in my yard. Hiya, Spring! Stick around, won't you?

1 comment:

Mom said...

Spring is most definitely here! Enjoy!