Sunday, April 03, 2011

Lights out.

Remember my awesome Ikea lamp, the short egg shaped one with the frosted cherry blossoms on it? That looked so modern and cool and delicate and made me feel like my house looked more like what I want it to someday look like? The one that made me have a long debate with myself at the store about whether or not I could afford to splurge twenty bucks for a silly piece of lighting and decided to be responsible? The lamp that my mom surprised me with for my birthday because she knew I loved it?

Well, one of the cats knocked it off the dresser today and it shattered. A lot. As in, unrepairable.

I was, I still am, so upset! I must be on some weird hormonal kick, because intellectually I know it's just a LAMP for goodness sake and although it was special, it is replaceable. It's not like one of Brett's statues or one of Mom's quilts or anything like that. But it was so NICE and it made me happy to have it in my apartment. Like I might aspire to have beautiful things in my house, something that I had chosen just because I loved it, without compromising or finding a cheaper look alike.

This is why I can't have nice things. Ugh. So unhappy...

2 comments:

Mom said...

You can and should have nice things. I am glad you liked it so much and it is totally replaceable. Naughty, naughty Chester!

Auntie said...

It might be "lights out" for the lamp, but not for your aspirations. The house you are wanting can still come, and you still do have nice things (though some are in storage). I feel your pain, though.