Wednesday, January 06, 2010

christmas catch-up



My brother's glittens went out in the mail yesterday and hopefully they will arrive soon to warm his poor frigid 1850 workin hands. They were a pretty simple pattern that I whipped up to use up left over yarn bits in green and blue and red. It's perfect "recession knitting" and they're all ideal yarns for hardwearing handwear. Hope he likes 'em.

I'm working on a pair of mittens for Brett with some of that Rhinebeck yarn. It's the same basic structure as most of my other mittens, but since the yarn is a little on the thin side, I'm going to line them like I did with Aunt Karen's alpaca mittens.

Christmas was excellent for collecting antique textile things. The awesomness started in the stocking where there was a lovely little apron with purple gingam and an embrodiered cluster of grapes. Also a pocket. Love it! There was a darning egg (I needed one, remember!) that opens to store your darning needle and thread. It's wonderful! AND! There was a whole collection of these weird little crocheted hot pads? decorations? rodeo clown flags? in shapes of things like bloomers that I have no idea what to do with. Suggestions?

There was also a whole bunch of beautiful handkerchiefs that I would love to work into the wedding somehow. There's one in particular that I think I'll probably be carrying down the isle. Want to see?







1 comment:

Mom said...

So glad you liked them. I knew you would!