Thursday, April 30, 2009

Unstuck.

Yesterday I found myself unexpectedly checking out Facebook, that social networking site of great repute, and who did I happen to bump into but Rebecca, my freshman year college roommate. The Ormsby Girls got together in out here on the East Coast this February and I was devistated to not be able to go, but with money the way it is, there was just no posibility of that kind of adventure. So this conversation with Rebecca was the first time in way too long that I'd gotten a chance to talk to one of my girls about how her life is going.

Rebecca has always been one cool chick. All my best college friends are women of lofty goals and go-forth-and-conquer attitudes. They're working for the New Yorker, doing art therapy, teaching English in Korea, translating family planning services into Spanish, curing cancer, getting Katrina victims back into housing, raising goats in Maine and all together making World Peace seem just a little bit more realistic. I don't believe that without knowing these women I would have even half as much faith in the Goodness of Humanity as I presently do.

So back to Rebecca...

She's always been pretty seriously liberal, in the same intense way she was serious about music and school work. So it wasn't terribly surprising to me when she mentioned she had decided to work with Americorp. But I was thrilled and jealous when she told me she (just today I think) has an installation of photography up for sale in two (!) locations in Portland. Check out her work here. I'll wait.


Gorgeous, right? And to be able to say, "This thing I do with my creativity is worth something and I don't need validation from a corporation to try to get money for it..." the girl has got some gumption.

As always happens when I bump into the Ormsby girls, I got unstuck. They have always encouraged me to look at myself and get constructive. Rebecca sort of kick started me into doing something I've been hedging around for a long while now. Sometimes things just fall into place and it feels a little like that's happening now.

I want to do work I'm proud of. I want to be able to tell my friends that I'm doing something worthy with the talents and skills that I have. I've got a lot of ideas, and I'm working on a feasible model that I can use now as I'm starting a new business and still leave room for expansion down the road. All I can tell you for 100% sure right now is that it's going to be fibery.

I know right now that the hardest part of this whole enterprise is going to be maintaining confidence and not letting fear of failure cripple it before I get going. Can't wait to tell you all about it.

3 comments:

cold beer and a fishin' pole said...

Like Metamucil fibery? Or does it involve llamas? Either way would be cool. It would be very cool if it involved both. Well, kind of gross, but I watch sports injury videos for fun so maybe don't base your opinions off of mine. See you in a week!

Mom said...

And either way, it gets you unstuck. So looking forward to next weekend!

Mom said...

By the way - Rebecca's work is beautiful.