Thursday, April 09, 2009

Pacific Monkey


Pattern
:
Monkey by Cookie A. from Knitty.com
Lacier than I was expecting from the photos, I find I don't mind. It seems like a good spring or fall sock to wear with the cute little Mary Jane shoes Mom got me for Christmas.

Needles:
US 2 DPNs. Despite losing one from my best set, I cannibalized a bamboo needle from another WIP to finish the thing off.

Yarn:
Liza Souza Sock! in colorway Pacific
The colorway is a little more flamboyant knit up than I guessed it would be when it was in the skein. I'm super glad I didn't make socks for Dad with this, as I intended to do. He's not really a knitwear guy anyway, but I know he'd never ever wear something like this. I'm not certain where I'll wear them! The pattern is lovely, but just a touch overwhelmed by the colors- I think I'll knit it again but in a light solid or semi-solid color to emphasis the arching lace.

Modifications:
None! The pattern, as is typical of Cookie, is clear and concise and achieves a lovely effect. I enjoy writing patterns and crafting things just to my taste, but it's a great mental break to sit back and follow a pattern written by someone else. Cookie had a different heel construction that I usually do- more triangular and less square which wants to just inch its way down my foot. I guess I have a big fat heel that needs a bigger pocket. It doesn't bother me enough to change it, and with a little more wear, I'm sure that it'll fit great, so I doubt I'd change it when I knit the pattern again.

1 comment:

mom said...

Very nice! You are right - your dad would never wear them. Good call.