Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Quilt Part Deux

Today I finished all but two of seams on the quilt. Lest you disbelieve, I also ventured to the Public Library to upload some pictures.
quilt05 by you.
I really love it. There are mistakes. But it is a first try, and I tore out plenty of seams to try to get it just right.



When I took this picture, I had just started putting the horizontal sashing in and I was a little overwhelmed by the strong red. Having had a few days to look at it now, I think it's really perfect. The fabrics I chose for the blocks wound up being mostly blue with a lot of tans/browns/yellows and reds, some greens and some purples and blacks. I like the color distribution in blocks, and I think the red sashing helps pull out the bright, warm tones so that the whole top feels cheery in a very rich way.

I can't wait to head down to Heartworks fabrics here in Fly Creek and pick out a nice piece to use for backing. Mom, any tips on how much to get and how to put it together so I can start quilting?

And what kind of quilting should I think about? I've got all that space in the sashing to quilt. I don't have any stencils or anything to work with yet, so I've got a totally blank canvas.

Right now I couldn't be happier with it, really.


quilt06 by you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is fabulous! I think the red was a perfect choice for the sashing. I will call you this weekend so we can figure out backing quantity and talk quilting options. Ripping seams is sometimes necessary, but always worth it in the end! Hmmm - now for the quilting. Wish we could do it together.

Anonymous said...

It is just beautiful, especially for a first project. I love that you are going to quilt it. Just a warning, I used to knit and do other craft things until I started quilting.