Friday, January 26, 2007

delays

Sweater update:
The body and two sleeves of the sweater are done. Now I have to join them all together and knit the yoke. I've designed my own two color patterning for the neckline, and I'm crossing my fingers now and hoping everything works.

It's hard to dedicate time to the knitting right now, for a multitude of reasons. I've got plenty of work to do for my full schedule of classes, and on top of that I'm supposed to be writing my research paper on Weaving in Classical Athens. I feel guilty all the time, knowing I should be making better progress on the paper than I am. Unfortunately I'm very unmotivated to write and intimidated by the idea that I want everything I write about this wonderful topic to be perfect. I think I've over-thought myself into a corner, which is frustrating.

The other happier reason I'm having a hard time focusing on knitting right now is that I found a beautiful antique spinning wheel at the local antique mall last weekend. I bargained down to a price I could afford and Bob's offered to buy it for me for my birthday. The tool is made of beautiful old wood with a lovely stain. The flyer isn't in great shape, and if the drive belt is under too much tension, the wheel sort of jumps out of its little grooves. I'm still trying to devise a solution for that problem. She is, however, a lovely instrument and spins beautifully fine yarn. I can't wait to have the chance to get to know her better.

No comments: